Apart from carrying out fundamental research, the Institute of Balkan Studies (BAS) is actively engaged in higher education. It is licensed to educate doctoral students in six different fields, as follows:
- Medieval History
- Modern and Contemporary History
- Archival Studies, Diplomatics and Paleography
- Theory and History of Literature
- European, American, Asian, African, and Australian Literatures
- General and Comparative Linguistics
In addition, our faculty members serve as dissertation advisers of people who are doctoral students of other institutes of BAS as well as of a number of universities.